Monday, July 2, 2012

Of covering aurah and medical check-ups

Obviously, I had no qualms about this before. Never even crossed my mind to be worry about such things.

But since my hijrah, I realised that I do think about it and take into consideration earlier. But somehow, I don't know, maybe due to the culture and surrounding (which is just a reason actually) that I find myself a bit slow to ensure that my aurah is covered during medical check-ups.

The other day when I had to do an X-ray scan, I completely forgot that I will need to be naked under the hospital's robe. Which is fine if the robe has long sleeves but that's not the case in Malaysia. The sleeves are short. Damn. What should I do? In the panic of making the radiographer guy wait (yes, which made me even more panicky) I quickly went out the changing room because I didn't want to make him wait. So stupid of me. I should have made sure that I was comfortable enough to step out, instead I thought of his feelings because I didn't want to delay his work. Sigh.

And that day I wore a chiffon shawl which it went around and around my head, not the usual sarung-and-go hijab. Since there can be no metal, I had to take off the shawl. Now, when I think about it, I could have just taken off the metal pins and put on the shawl. But nooooo, I didn't. I'm so mad at myself now :(

So, what did I finally wore? The short-sleeve hospital robe and my inner which only covered my hair but not neck. Ya Allah, forgive me. I should have been more aware and prepared.

Few days after that, I went back to do my MRI. I even brought along my long-sleeve inner to wear so that they may cover my arms. I felt like slapping my head, hard. I didn't wear it. I don't know why but I didn't. But I did wear a proper hijab, so that's covered. But my arms weren't :(

With my healthcare background (I used to work in the hospital) and previous current experience, let me share some tips (which is also pointing to myself as well) on what hijabis and muslimahs need to be extra cautious of when they're at the clinic/hospital:


  • It doesn't matter if you're wearing abaya or everyday clothes, you are required to don the hospital's robe during medical consultation/X-ray scan/MRI scan and other procedures. Bring a long sleeve top/inner that you can wear inside the robe. If you're doing a whole body procedure, then bring a loose pants, just in case.
  • Don't forget your socks! Since there's no metal required there, there's no reason for you to not wear it. Unless, the procedure is at your feet or toes.
  • Wear hijabs/tudungs that you can put on without the need to use pins. Bring also a small one that covers your hair and neck, just in case.
  • Since we are not VIPs or dignitaries that can specifically request for everyone helping us to be females, there will be males who will be assisting you or present during the procedure. Make sure you are wary of this and just inform them if you are not comfortable with their presence and prefer to have a female nurse instead. 
  • Leave fancy schmancy inner wear such as bras and knickers with any metal details. Metals interrupt any scan process so save yourself the embarrassment and opt for comfy cotton ones. 


It is true that in some circumstances especially in medical, women are allowed to expose their aurah in seeking treatment for their health. But I feel, let's not take this simply and easily. Let's try very hard to take care of our aurah, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment