Sunday, July 1, 2012

Empowering Muslimahs (Girls Rule in Islam!) - Part 1

I am so thankful that I decided to attend the Being ME Conference. I couldn't attend Twins of Faith earlier so when I heard about this conference, I rushed to be the early bird. With the line up of amazing speakers, especially Sis. Yasmin Mogahed, I counted the days to this event. It was my second religious event, the first one I attended quite some time ago organised by the Youth Muslim Project in Bangsar, the Sheikh gave a talk on the 'Beauty of Jannah'. From then, I was hooked. I knew I wanted and was so thirsty for more Islamic talks/events in English. I realized that I responsed well to it as it's in a language that is dear to me. I said, "That's it... I'm gonna attend more talks in English and try to find books on Islam that are in English as well".


Buzzing away
TudungPeople's Najwaa in Cream and Limited Edition Azraa Collection, Kitschen's hot pink blazer, Thepoplook's Empire Maxi Combo dress in mustard and my beloved 'H' bag bought in Ipoh.

Allah is Almighty. It turns out that most of us don't hate to attend religious events, they just hate hearing the speakers repeat YOU WILL ALL ENTER HELL. Of course, I do agree that when we do wrong, there are repercussions to it. But isn't it better for you to concentrate on the good things of Islam, only then it will be easier for you to practise it? Because you're not scared of it, but because you really want to? I see heads nodding in agreement. So if there's any news on religious events in English, I will definitely let you all know.


So back to the conference. As it was beautifully arranged with the amazing speakers and there's so much of points and highlights that I want to share, I will divide the post into Part 1 and Part 2.


Sheikh Tawfique Chowdury started off with his opening speech. His highlight was,


"Recite Surah Al-Ikhlas 10 times, and Allah will build you a palace in Jannah."


*jawdrops*


Next (I was trying hard not to jump up and down on my seat), was Sis. Yasmin Mogahed's turn to speak. Words cannot express how amazing she is and how she plays with words to show how beautiful Islam is, from her point of view. Click here to visit her official website and read her articles, especially.


She talked on how the world has mould our perception to how a female should dress and how they are looked in the eyes of the public. Some of her highlights were,


"Muslim women have God as their standards."


"Completion comes from God, and how our relationship is to Him."


"Only God is our saviour, not our companion."


"You don't own an image."


"The story starts at the marriage; the building of sacrifice, love and your path back to Him."


"If you're chasing a feeling, you'll always be chasing."


"Love what He loves, and do not love what He doesn't love."


Just before we had our lunch break, Sheikh Yahya Ibrahim stepped on the stage for his session. He. Is. So. Funny. He pointed out that the Western countries were worried whether the wife of the newly-elected Egypt President Mursi will shake hands with President Obama. Of all the world crisis and people are dying every second, this was what they were worried about. Which is so true of this world. Appearance matters. Tsk tsk tsk.


Anyways, back to his highlights,


"We are comprised of 3; aqal, roh and physical."


"Soul is thirsty for Islam."


"Are we curious and interested to know the meaning of Quran?"


"Iman can be tarnished, make doa to Allah instantly to reignite your interest and iman."


"If your heart breaks not for Allah, then it's a shame."


"Believe in Allah is in your heart."


"Never will Allah allow someone to remain unchallenged for a long period of time."


"Your heart can be hurt by others, and it can be hurdled away from Allah."


"Always think of Allah and Prophet Muhammad PBUH truthfully and honestly, and your needs will be fulfilled, insyaAllah."


Wow. Felt like a huge wake-up call.


The best thing that this conference featured were booths outside the hall. Obviously, being women it is naturally for us to drop by the booths and shop. Man, I went crazy ok. One of the booth and they were also one of the sponsors, Dakwah Corner Bookstore and they had all these books on Islam and they were all in ENGLISH! Bought one for daddy, sis, myself and him as well.


*happy*happy*happy*


Me and my girls had a long lunch since there was a long queue and by the time we finished Dhuhr, the first afternoon session was ending. To hear the highlights of the next speaker, check out Part 2.


Allahu Akbar!


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment